Monday, June 7, 2010

Icosihenagon

Searching for the pattern for my line design, I came across multiple patterns that were both complex and cool. There are thousands of variations of line designs that have been created but there also thousands of designs that have not been created. Continuing on my search I came across a design also known as an Icosihenagon. When looking at it, I thought it looked awesome and could not believe that the design was created with just string . The design contained 21 nails, a very long string, and a design template that was premade. After reading the instructions the pattern did not sound so complicated but after beginning it, the pattern started to get more confusing then expected because of the string.

The pattern was, start at the top peg, then
(1) Skip 0 pegs, and wrap thread around the 1st peg.
(2) Skip 1 peg, and wrap thread around the 2nd peg.
(3) Skip 2 pegs, and wrap thread around the 3rd peg.
(4) Skip 3 pegs, and wrap thread around the 4th peg.
(5) Skip 4 pegs, and wrap thread around the 5th peg.
(6) Skip 5 pegs, and wrap thread around the 6th peg.
(7) Skip 6 pegs, and wrap thread around the 7th peg.
(8) Skip 7 pegs, and wrap thread around the 8th peg.
(9) Skip 8 pegs, and wrap thread around the 9th peg.
(10) Skip 9 pegs, and wrap thread around the 10th peg.

These are the first ten steps. To complete the design, I have to continue on through the 10 steps a total of 21 times. So after I complete the 10 steps once I still have 20 more times to complete the 10 steps, and so on.

A Completed Icosihenagon Line Design

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for a fantastic website! I had some old wooden basket bottoms with 20 pre-drilled holes I was thinking of repurposing for a class art/STEAM project similar to this. I tested it and it works out very similarly, but I guess it's an icosagon? (Obviously I'm not a mathematician, just Googled n' Guessing).
    Also, I think it is easier for students experiencing difficulty to complete the 1st round wrapping around every peg, the 2nd round every other peg, the 3rd every 3 pegs, etc. until the center circle is as small as desired. My grandmother used to make ornaments similar to this with family portraits placed in the center.

    ReplyDelete